Easy Taco Ground Meat
This easy Taco Ground Meat is one of my favorite proteins to throw into my weekly dinner rotations. There’s so many ways to use it up (read on for tips) and it’s super easy and quick to cook! It’s a great option if you’re looking to spice up your dinners! Read on to learn how to make your very own taco spice mix (it’s cheaper, healthier and yummier in the long run!) and how to make this tasty taco meat!
Spice up your next taco night with this easy and delicious homemade taco seasoning and homemade taco beef!
Try Something Different When It Comes to Cooking Meat
If you’ve been having trouble with cooking your proteins or with mixing it up at dinner time, read on my friend. I’m about to share the best easy meat you can cook! Ground meats are one of the easiest proteins to cook at home, it’s like a secret weapon. They’re easy to season, easy to cook perfectly and can be used in a variety of ways. This Taco Ground Beef is a great recipe to ease yourself into trying something new but manageable in the kitchen or just cooking in general.
Spice Blends At Home
Making your own spice blends is a game changer in any kitchen. Getting bored of the same old boring chicken? Add a spice blend into the mix to quite literally *spice* it up. It’s the easiest way to keep things interesting and really transform a basic meal into something new and fun. There’s a ton of different inspirations to draw from. And making them at home means there are no limits to flavor combos! Additionally, crafting your own spice blends is cheaper, healthier and yummier in the long run. It’s definitely worth a try. Check out my blog post here for 10+ basic spice blends and marinades I use regularly!
Make the Homemade Taco Seasoning
Homemade Taco Seasoning is actually so easy to make. Forget about that packet mix, all you need is 7 ingredients! To make the taco seasoning, just mix together salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder and dried oregano. This is your basic taco packet seasoning mix and it makes meat delicious!
In addition to this dry taco seasoning blend, I also make a mixture out of equal parts water and tomato paste. Instead of the water, you could use beef broth for beef or chicken broth for chicken for a little extra flavor. This mix gives the meat a depth of flavor that’s not available in dry spice format. It also helps prevent the meat from drying out while cooking.
Making Taco Ground Meat
Ground meat is super easy to cook. Start with a hot skillet and add in just a splash of oil. Then add in your meat. I like to add in the meat, crumble it up into chunks using a big spoon or spatula and let the bottom side sorta sear for a little. After about 5 minutes, flip the meat over and add in your dry spice blend. Mix it in well to make sure that all of the meat gets touched by the delicious taco flavoring. Once the meat is mostly cooked through, add in your water or broth and the tomato paste. Again, mix very well. Cook for a few more minutes to let the tomato settle into the meat and you’re done! The whole process takes about 15 minutes from start to finish.
Serving Suggestions for Taco Ground Meat
- Tacos, Obviously. Set out hard and soft shell tacos, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, corn, salsa, guac, sour cream, cheese, limes and cilantro for a fun make-your-own-taco spread!
- Taco Salad! Use up any leftovers from your taco party for a lunchtime taco salad with a greens base, any extra meat or toppings and a cilantro lime vinaigrette.
- Nachos! Layer your favorite chips with cheddar jack cheese and taco meat, bake and top with your fave accompaniments.
- Taquitos or baked crispy tacos! Fill warm corn or flour tortillas with taco meat and cheese and either roll into a taquito or fold in half (my preference). Bake and top with red onion, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
- Taco Pasta! Mix together this taco meat, pasta, crushed tomatoes, cheese, peppers and onions for a fun twist.
- Chili. Combine taco meat with broth, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, corn, beans, add your toppings and serve with rice or chips!
Thanks so much for stopping by! If you make this recipe or have any questions, let me know! Leave a comment below or tag me @annietortellini on Instagram!
Taco Ground Beef
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef, ground chicken or ground turkey
- salt + pepper
- 2 tsp each cumin, chili powder, garlic powder
- 1 tsp each onion powder, oregano, salt, pepper
- 2 Tbs tomato paste or ¼ C tomato sauce
- 2 Tbs water or stock
- Heat a pan over medium high heat. Once hot, add 1 Tbs oil. Once the oil is hot, add ground meat to the pan. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and use a wooden spoon to flatten out the meat and kinda break it up into chunks. Cook for 5 minutes, then mix around, break into small pieces and continuing cooking until there's just barely any pink meat left.
- Add in the taco seasoning mix along with tomato paste or sauce and water or stock. Mix well and cook for a few more minutes until the sauce thickens and coats the meat.